September is Bisexuality Visibility Month, during which is Bi Visibility Day on September 23rd. It’s a month to come together in solidarity to unite, raise awareness, challenge erasure and celebrate bisexual and biromantic people and communities.
Large in-person events may not be possible due to Covid19, however there may be smaller scale or online events celebrating Bi Visibility which are needed more than ever for those who may be less visible and more marginalised at this time.
Activists and allies can support bisexual people, and the LGBTQIA community by:
- Increasing the visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (“LGBTQIA”) people, their history, lives and their experiences in the curriculum and culture of educational and other institutions, and the wider community;
- Raising awareness and advancing education on matters affecting the LGBTQIA community;
- Working to make educational and other institutions safe spaces for all LGBTQIA communities; and
- Promoting the welfare of LGBTQIA people, by ensuring that the education system recognises and enables LGBTQIA people to achieve their full potential, so they contribute fully to society and lead fulfilled lives, thus benefiting society as a whole.
Bisexuality and Cinema
Now is as important as ever to support the work of LGBTQ+ filmmakers and stories. We have some lists of films here which focus on bisexual stories or characters, however bisexuality can often be misrepresented and/or underrepresented in film. We hope increasing awareness and visibility will springboard more authentic representation in film, both onscreen and behind the camera.
If you are interested in running a film inspired event, we have provided some links below for further information to help inspire programming in your venue, or for running events or activity online.
For example, could you:
- set up a watch party and have a chat on Zoom/Skype after the film?
- run an online drawing, poetry or drama workshop, using a film as a theme?
There are some resources included here for getting started with running events online.